Hardware Engineer /Senior Hardware Engineer
Shift5 is hiring a Hardware (electrical) Engineer/Senior Hardware Engineer to join our growing team. As a hardware (electrical) engineer, you will be a vital member of our Intake product team, responsible for creating the hardware configuration of our products. This includes component selection, schematic capture, printed circuit board design / layout, and working on an interdisciplinary team to create the most compact and cost-effective assemblies. This position is required to work in our HQ office in Rosslyn, VA.
You will analyze existing systems to identify flaws or inefficiencies, use problem-solving and technical skills to make modifications that will increase the performance of the computer, and assess customer needs and company standards when modifying or creating hardware. You will also be responsible for building or overseeing the assembly of prototypes, testing prototypes to ensure that the design operates according to specifications, identifying defects, and estimating the cost, reliability, and safety factors. Engineers are key contributors in shaping this design process, and you’ll be a major factor in generating high-impact products. If you’re the kind of person who loves learning about new topics, exploring outside of your comfort zone, painting from blank canvas, and working with like-minded individuals, Shift5 might be the right fit for you.
Shift5 is a rapidly growing data and cybersecurity scale-up. We specialize in capturing and analyzing serial bus data in real time, providing anomaly detection and operational intelligence required to act. Our insights provide real-time alerting and historical trends to assure mission readiness and cyber survivability, and our innovative technology enables military systems to deter adversaries, protect warfighters, and maintain their competitive edge. We are a collaborative, passionate and driven cadre of cyber security experts. Our engineers are multidisciplinary, and our team is dynamic. We’re a growing company focused on helping our customer’s fleets run smarter and safer by capitalizing on mountains of data resting right about the wheels. Come join us.
Skills and Experience
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering or related field
- 3+ years of experience designing circuit boards (experience with PCB design and layout highly preferred) (7+ years for Senior Hardware Engineer)
- Experience with FPGA design
- Experience with Electrical CAD software packages (Altium preferred)
- Experience with test equipment (oscilloscope, spectrum analyzer, and others
- Knowledge of MIL, DO, and IPC standards is a plus
- Self-motivated with strong organizational, written, and oral communication skills
- Competitive salary and stock options in a fast-growing startup
- Employer-paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their families
- Health Savings Account with annual employer contributions
- 401k with employer contributions
- Employer-paid Life Insurance
- Uncapped paid time off policy
- Flexible work & remote work policy
- Tax-deferred public transit benefits with Metro SmartBenefits (DC/MD/VA)
We are committed to building an inclusive culture of belonging that not only embraces the diversity of our people but also reflects the diversity of the communities in which we work and the customers we serve. We know that the happiest and highest performing teams include people with diverse perspectives and ways of solving problems so we strive to attract and retain talent from all backgrounds and create workplaces where everyone feels empowered to bring their full, authentic selves to work.
Shift5 is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.