Shift5 is actively seeking a dedicated senior-level Data Engineer to join our growing team. In this pivotal role, you will be instrumental in developing and deploying impactful features into our product suite. Your expertise will be crucial in designing, constructing, and implementing the technological framework that not only generates meaningful insights from our vast collection of vehicle data but also delivers substantial value to our clients. This framework serves as the linchpin, critically influencing and supporting all other components within our product suite
Collaborating closely with our product managers and analysts, you will be at the forefront of designing, implementing, and launching major features, overseeing the process from concept to completion. Your role as a senior engineer is not just to contribute but to significantly shape this design process, creating high-impact products that play a vital role in literally saving lives.
At Shift5, a rapidly expanding cybersecurity and operational technology firm, we excel in data collection, translation, transformation, and distillation. Our mission extends beyond providing advanced cyber defense; we are dedicated to enhancing mission readiness and preventative maintenance for a wide array of operational systems. Our expertise lies in safeguarding planes, trains, and tanks not just from cyber threats but also in ensuring their optimal functionality and reliability. Our approach to cybersecurity is intertwined with a commitment to maintaining the operational integrity of these systems. Our engineering team plays a central role in this mission. We are devoted to empowering our clients' fleets to operate more intelligently and safely, utilizing the wealth of data available at their fingertips. Join us on this vital and thrilling journey towards a more secure and efficient future.
- Data Architecture and Code Development: Design robust, scalable data architectures for large-scale analytics and produce high-quality, maintainable code, with a focus on Golang.
- Data Storage, Processing, and Integration: Implement and maintain diverse storage solutions (e.g., PostgreSQL, MySQL, Redshift, Snowflake) and manage data processing pipelines using systems like Kafka and AWS SQS. Develop and execute ETL processes for cohesive data integration.
- Cloud Services and Infrastructure: Utilize AWS cloud services (S3, EC2, RDS, EMR) effectively in data engineering tasks. Develop tooling and infrastructure for the Shift5 Data Platform, ensuring efficiency and scalability across multiple clouds and geographies, including CI/CD, IAC tooling, observability, and data quality engines.
- Data Product Development and Stakeholder Collaboration: Design and develop data products for various stakeholders, including data scientists, transportation engineers, and executives, to drive insight generation and informed decision-making. Collaborate closely with internal and external stakeholders to refine the Shift5 Data Platform's long-term vision and requirements.
- Pipeline Reliability and Observability: Build reliable data pipelines and orchestration solutions, focusing on the health and operations of the Shift5 Data Platform, with an emphasis on supportability and observability.
Required Technical Skills and Experience:
- Programming Proficiency: Skilled in major programming languages (e.g., Golang, Python, Java) with the ability to quickly learn new languages and adapt to various requirements.
- Database Expertise: Strong experience with SQL and relational databases such as PostgreSQL and MySQL.
- Data Modeling and Big Data: Expertise in data modeling, structures, and algorithms, with experience in big data technologies like Hadoop and Spark.
- Data Pipeline Skills: Proven ability in designing and operating high-velocity data pipelines, with proficiency in tools like Apache Airflow and Benthos.
- Data Storage and Processing: Knowledge in managing data lakes, warehouses (e.g., Snowflake, Databricks, Redshift), and big data frameworks for batch and streaming architectures.
- Containerization and Cloud Services: Experience with Docker, Kubernetes, and cloud monitoring tools. Familiarity with modern data stack components including data ingestion (e.g. Fivetran, Airbyte), transformation (e.g. DBT), and orchestration (e.g. Airflow, Dagster).
- Engineering Practices: Proficiency in CI/CD, source control, design reviews, and integrating observability practices.
- Data Quality and User Engagement: Focus on data quality (e.g., Monte Carlo, Great Expectations) and a user-centric approach, ensuring solutions meet stakeholder needs and drive impactful user outcomes.
- Citizenship: U.S. Citizenship required.
- Clearance: Ability to obtain and maintain U.S. Government Top Secret security clearance if necessary.
- Education: Bachelor's or Master's in Computer Science, Engineering, or related field.
- Experience: Minimum 3-5 years in a data engineering role with a track record in large-scale data infrastructures.
- Communication: Strong verbal and written skills.
- Problem-Solving: Excellent analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Team Collaboration: Ability to work effectively in a team and with cross-functional groups.
Compensation & Benefits:
- Competitive salary with stock options in a fast-growing startup.
- Employer-paid medical, dental, and vision coverage.
- Health Savings Account with annual employer contributions.
- 401k with employer contributions.
- Life Insurance.
- Uncapped paid time off policy.
- Flexible and remote work policies.
- Tax-deferred public transit benefits with Metro SmartBenefits (DC/MD/VA).
We are committed to fostering an inclusive culture that values diversity in our people, reflecting the communities we serve and our customer base. We strive to attract and retain a diverse talent pool and create an environment where everyone is empowered to be their authentic selves at work.
Shift5 is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We ensure that all applicants are considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, marital status, ancestry, projected veteran status, or any other protected group or class